Saturday, January 10, 2015

ALOHA!

  Once again - I have lost my girl to school. This time, I may not get her back because she has traded Virginia snow for the beach - she is now living in La'ie Hawaii!!!
I was lucky enough to be able to spend four days there helping her settle in. We stayed at Disney's Aulani Resort. We spent the first day getting everything squared away at BYU, the last day getting her into her house, and the time in between was spent visiting some of the beautiful places that Oahu has to offer!
Let me say - I have never had a big desire to go to Hawaii. (I know - I'm probably the only person who has ever felt that way!) After spending a few days there, I can now say that I was stupid. Hawaii is hands down, the most wonderful place I have ever been!
Tommy and I had an opportunity to move there this summer and we passed on that - what a mistake we made! I am fully prepared to sell everything I own and move there NOW!! 
I am thrilled that Maggie is taking her opportunity and following her sense of adventure! She is a smart girl!
It is a really hard thing - to leave my girl in a place that is so foreign to all that she knows - I pray that she will be safe and watched over, and have the time of her life!

Maggie and I had lunch at P.F. Changs a few days before our trip - I guess fortune cookies REALLY DO know what's up!




arriving on BYUH campus

 BYUH campus

walking out onto her balcony for the first time!
tacked above the kitchen sink - funny!

the courtyard in front of her house - and our rental car for the week (also happens to be the vehicle Maggie wants!)


at the Dole Plantation not far from school - best pineapple juice ever!

a quick beach selfie!

our dinner view before the Aulani Hula show - it was 78 degrees - 7:00pm - in January!

Hawaiian pizza for lunch!

leaving the hotel - headed for school (note how studious she is with her backpack!)

the view from her balcony - this is what she will see every single day!!
she will be sharing a room with one girl - the house will have 10 girls total

headed up the street to her house

steps down to the first floor of her house - she is in a third floor bedroom


Her cherry red transportation for the next several months!

I seriously can't get over the fact that she will get an education with this to distract her each day! 

a satellite photo of the places she will be day in and day out.
school - lower left
her home - on the point - upper right

a pic on the porch just before I had to drive away. she was smiling - i was sobbing!
the view out of her window - my drivers side view was the pacific ocean!

dozens of these shacks and food trucks line the coast line leading up to her school - more shrimp and snow cones than you could ever dream of!

On the beach on the North Shore
It was super cool to see all of the surfers - riding waves that are actually big enough!








No comments: