Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Refusal of Lessons


I always wished that one of my kids would want to take piano lessons - I wanted my house to be filled with the lovely sounds of church hymns and classical pieces. Isn't that something every suburban housewife should make their obedient little children do?
Well, I tried it and both of my children rejected that idea very quickly.
However, somewhere along the line, Tim started teaching himself. 

home is now filled (and I mean every waking minute of the day - and most nights even as I sleep) with that music I always wanted! Sometimes I hear a classical piece and occasionally I get a church hymn or two - but mostly its whatever song he has just heard on his sound cloud. He plays by ear, so he listens to a song a few times and then sits down and plays what he heard. It's an amazing talent really - something really cool to watch him doing - but I will admit, I still hope that one day he will learn to read music and play traditionally - mostly because I think it could be a bankable skill. 

Here are a few short videos of what it sounds like all day long in my house - sometimes I just like to go in his piano room and listen for a few minutes - he just plays and plays - one song morphs into another, and another, and another…




No comments: