Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ms. Mulder

This is Linda Mulder. She was my high school choir teacher for four years. She was hard-core talented, super smart and crazy funny! She didn't mess around when it was time for practices, but she would treat you like her best friend otherwise. She is someone that I dream about regularly - I guess that means that she had a lasting impact on my life. I hope she knew. I told her sometime after I was married, but I don't know if she realized what an influence she was on me. She taught me so many things besides music. She made me understand that I was talented, that being on time and prepared was important (and being late and unprepared would have consequences - thus the dreaming of her...maybe its really stress nightmares!), that it was ok to be myself and do what I loved, and that Wendy's chili and crackers was the best meal EVER!! She was kind and patient and professional and made the best silly faces. I hated her some days, was scared of her on other days, admired her most days and loved her always. I pray that my children will be blessed with teachers as wonderful as Ms Mulder.

She was killed in a car accident and will be laid to rest tomorrow. She was 60 years old. I cannot attend, and that is sad. It's funny - it's been almost 20 years since I have seen her - and I can see her in my minds eye as if it were yesterday. I am surprised at how easy it is to cry over someone so far in my past. I guess those monthly dreams that have never stopped have kept her close! Ms. Mulder - you will be missed by thousands of choir nerds - I'm sure that their singing at your service will make you smile! All of their voices united will be something incredible to see - I'm sorry that I won't be part of that.
I will continue to dream about you and I promise to never forget you.

Ms.Mulder on a bus - i'm sure taking us to some competition! circa 1988 -thanks for the pics Krista

Ms. Mulder in action! That is me in the front row, second from the left

No comments: