Thursday, December 31, 2015

Goodbye 2015 …



This last year was one full of change, and for some of us, adventure!
We are so blessed to have come out of it with each other, good health and good memories.
We have been lucky to be surrounded by great friends, old and new, and lots of family!

Tim - 15                                     Maggie - 21


  Maggie transferred from Southern Virginia University to 
Brigham Young University - Hawaii last January. Goodbye to ice, snow and perpetual Autumn/Winter and Hello to Sand, island life and a constant state of summertime!

She has said many times that the decision to move was the hardest and 
most rewarding move she has ever made. She definitely found herself at a crossroad and knew that she needed a major change - I'd say she got it!

I loved it when she recently said, "At SVU I was friends with Jesus - but not like I am now" She has grown so much - spiritually and in a million other ways. She has made lifelong friendships and has narrowed down a career path. She has been swimming with turtles in a great big ocean, jumped out of a plane and napped on the most beautiful beaches in the world!
Having such diversity in culture surrounding her daily, she has gotten much more of an 
education than just books and professors can provide.

I love that she is happy - but to be real, I will love it more when she is happy and closer to home!
A year and a half to go - I can do it - I can do it - I can do it!





Tim has been at home doing on-line school for most of the year - 
also through BYU, their high school independent study.
I can't even begin to explain how hard some days are and how fantastic it is at the same time! 
How many moms get the chance to spend so much time with their teenaged son? 
We certainly drive each other crazy, but we both agree that it is awesome!
It is for sure the best choice we could have made. 

Tim has had the opportunity to perform in a few musical theatre productions, earning a couple of lead roles (which makes it more fun!) and has been able to do a little studio recording work. He has learned a few domestic skills that I'm sure he doesn't appreciate - but its nice to have him do his own laundry and try some of the cooking every now and then! He learned that he is addicted to hummus, asparagus soup and fish (weird, right?)

He has had more time to focus on his spiritual side too. With more hours during the day, we have added religion to his class schedule. He takes a 6am seminary class - that is still the same as last year - but we have added a blockof spiritual study to his afternoons too (Hank Smith on CD is his favorite)
Making good moral choices is sometimes a struggle during the teen years, but he is steadily gaining a testimony of how choice making with his Heavenly Father in mind is way better than the alternative!
I guess my favorite part of him being home is that I have gotten to know Tim on a deeper level - and he has gotten to know himself too

Tim is talented and funny and smart and I just think he is super cool!




Tommy and I are trucking along as usual - with our lives still being dictated mostly by the kids. I wouldn't have it any other way. I mean, I guess in a few short years, when the kids are all grown up and have permanently left the house - then, I guess I will have it another way!


We are grateful for all of our blessings and do our best to make sure those blessings don't go unnoticed or unappreciated. We love our heavenly Father and we strive every day to live up to be the people He expects us to be. We believe that His plan is one of happiness, righteousness, love and forever families - funny, those are the things I want for my family too!







No comments: