Friday, January 15, 2010

Claybon Elementary spelling bee!

Tim was FORCED to participate in the spelling bee this year - evidently, the 4th, 5th and 6th graders were given a spelling test and the top 30 scores were chosen to compete in the school bee. Tim was one of those kids and decided that he didn't really want to do it - so he chose not to practice at all, thinking that he would just opt out. Little did he know, he had no options - he would have to compete! So, he called me and asked me to come watch. Of'course I did, and I was so proud of him!
waiting for the "stupid" bee to begin

He threatened to purposely spell his first word wrong, but I guess the excitement of the day got to him, because once he was on that stage, he seemed to really want to do well!

His first word was treasure. Easy enough!

A bit of a smile at the end of the round! Maybe this bee business isn't so horrible!

Oh shoot! - next round, his nerves got the better of him and he misspelled a word that he knows! Population. He mixed up the 'U' and the 'L'

trying not to look too disappointed

That's ok Tim - you did GREAT!!!
Especially for someone who didn't even want to compete!
Next year, when you actually try - you will take it all the way to Nationals!!!


1 comment:

Kristi said...

Way to go Tim! I won the Spelling Bee in the first grade, I remember how excited I was! And I remember my mom making me practice words for weeks for what seemed like hours at a time. I remember driving in the car and she had this list on a notepad with a duck at the bottom (because ducks were so uber cool in the 80's) that had word after word after WORD on it. WOW...fun times! Next year Tim is gonna kick those other kids' trash!