Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A cold, soupy day calls for a warm, soupy night!

Today was such a dreary, cold, nasty day! The temperatures hovered around freezing and we had light showers all day long. It was one of those days, where we all watched the weather man closely, waiting for him to tell us school was going to be cancelled - but it never was.

I felt like the evening called for some warm comfort food that all of us could agree on, so I turned to an old stand-by, GRILLED CHEESE & TOMATO SOUP! Yum!

(I promise, I really do cook decent meals occasionally - it's not all Campbells and Chef Boyardee!)

Tommy makes it the best, so he got right to work!

The butter on the bread got a bit smokey, so Tim tried to wave it off!


When Tommy asked me how much soup I would like, I sarcastically said - "all of it". This is what I found at my place when I got to the table!



Maggie likes the sandwiches the best


Ahh, Yummy, Yummy sandwiches!

And since we were all together anyway, I skipped kitchen clean up and gathered everyone in the living room after dinner to read to the kids. I was given this book by a friend, Kathi Martin, and it is my new fave! Tim must have liked it too, because he started out on a different couch than I was on, and by the third page, he was on me twirling my hair - quiet as a mouse! (as a side note, Tim used to always sit in my lap with his arm around my neck to twirl my hair. It has been a long time since my big boy has done that and I could not have been happier tonight!) When the book was finished, we talked about what the parable meant and Tim and Maggie proved to us that they really were listening with their take on the story! This is an AMAZING book!

So, this dreary day turned out to be a great day after all! I love when we can spend some quiet alone time with the kids.

Now I have to go clean the kitchen by myself!

If that is the price I have to pay for a simple evening - I'm OK with that!

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

YUM!!! Those sandwhichs look mighty good!