Thursday, January 22, 2009

History Made


What a historic day we had this past Tuesday! Our new President, Barack Obama, was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States of America!

I have heard many people convey lots of different opinions about him - good and bad - but as for me - I just hope and really pray that he will make good, moral decisions for our country, and for our future. However, I am sad to see the republicans go.



In thinking about this election, I am so grateful that my son was taught a bit of politics in school. He became very interested in both candidates and learned a lot about each one. In fact, I was proud of him when I overheard him talking to his doctor one day about the election, swing states, the candidates backgrounds, electoral votes, etc. I was thrilled to see his excitement as he went with me to cast my vote. (although his school wasn't thrilled that I pulled him from school to do it!) He was super excited to watch the inauguration at school - i only wish that I could have watched it along side of him.


Maggie was also able to watch at her school - she came home and told me everything that she liked about it, and even pulled up his speech on the computer and read to me the parts that she was moved by. I was surprised at the passion she conveyed!


I love that my kids are open minded - I love that neither one of them understand what the color of a persons skin has to do with their character - I love that they are optimistic about the way our country will go with a new president at the helm. I realize that they don't fully understand how worried most of us are with the economy, and I hope that it will get better soon and they will never understand what "really hard times" means.


I also wanted to share an e-mail that was sent home from Maggie's principal on Tuesday in regards to a dress code change for the following day. It made me feel good. Knowing full well how badly 8th graders can behave, I was happy to see that they do take important things seriously - after all, they are our future!

***We are allowing students this break from the dress code in appreciation for their collective efforts this morning during our assembly. At 11am we were able to have a live web feed for our students during the presidential inauguration. Over 600 students filled our gym and sat at attention for the entire address. This type of behavior from an entire student body was overwhelming. The poise and maturity exhibited from your children during this event truly reflects the families of Forney ISD.

At the commencement of this program I stood before your children humbled by their behavior and told them that I felt compelled to offer them this opportunity tomorrow as recognition for what they had done. I realize wearing jeans to school isn’t much and it should be much more but please take a moment to thank them for me again. Let them know how proud we are of them all and thank you for being such great parents. Have wonderful evening. Mr. Pierce ***

I am grateful to live in this free country and to be raising my beautiful children in the United States. God Bless America.



No comments: